10.11.2009

zombies & pie

10.10.09
This weekend I watched Zombieland. I loved it. It managed to be clever, crude, funny, and kind of touching, all at the same time. I hope I start seeing Jesse Eisenberg in more movies after the success of this one. I've been a fan ever since I saw him in The Squid and the Whale. The boyfriend and I decided to watch Drag Me To Hell when we got home, which turned our Friday movie night into a really good, scary/funny double feature. I love Sam Raimi.

On Saturday, we went to an early evening screening of Paranormal Activity at Arclight Hollywood. Half the people at our screening were scared out of their minds; the other half were bored out of their minds. I belonged to the former half of that group. That movie thoroughly scared the bejeezus out of me, but I could see how some people might be bored. I think it all depends on how much patience you have and what kind of movies you find scary. Some people like those balls-out horror films, where the scares and gore come early and often. Some people like films with a bunch of creepy moments that hint at the big payoff at the end. Those are the kinds of horror films that I like, and that's the kind of film that Paranormal Activity is.

After the movie, we went to the Farmers Market and had dinner at Du-par's. I ordered the chicken pot pie because I don't recall ever eating it before (I'm Filipino-Chinese, so I missed out on a lot of American dishes growing up). The pot pie was flaky, piping hot and delicious. For dessert, I had to try a piece of their famous pie (yeah, more pie). I decided on blueberry cream cheese with a graham cracker crust. Holy crap, it was good. I didn't take any pictures of my food, as I'm usually apt to do, because I devoured it way too quickly. But there will be more photo ops - I still need to try the rest of their pies!

Ah, food and movies. My two favorite things. It was a good weekend.

Dress from Forever 21. Cardigan from H&M. Scarf from a thift store. Coach bag. Chinese Laundry boots.

2 comments:

Dana Landon said...

I saw Zombieland and Paranormal Activity this last month and loved them both too!!! I was completely elated throughout the entirety of Zombieland. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did, I went because my husband was really excited to see it. It was pure perfection. If you haven't seen it yet, and you are a Tarantino fan, definitely see Inglorious Basterds... it was right up there with Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill for me.

Jenny said...

I felt the same way about Zombieland. I expected it to be good, but not as good as it was. It was so well-done and entertaining.

I am a huge Tarantino fan, and I'm so glad you mentioned Inglorious Basterds! I loved it so much that I saw it two nights in a row. It was even better the second time around. Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction will always be my favorite Tarantino films (I especially have a soft spot for Kill Bill...I even named my cat Beatrix), but Basterds is definitely up there. I really think it's Tarantino's masterpiece.

You have good taste in movies, Dana!