7.27.2011

food truck love, homer style

lake street creamery
On Saturday, I attended the Outdoor Cinema Food Fest at Exposition Park. This is a weekly summer event that's now in it's second year, and it's become one of my favorite things to do in LA in the summertime. This past weekend, they screened Reservoir Dogs. As excited as I was for the movie, I was even more excited for the food. I finally got to try the Border Grill Truck, from chefs Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken. I can safely say that it's the best food truck I've ever been to (and I've been to many). Their quinoa fritters, Peruvian ceviche, green corn tamal, and churro tots were out-of-this-world good, and the service was fast and friendly. I can't wait to go back for more.

I also paid a visit to my favorite ice cream truck, Lake Street Creamery. I've tried a few of their flavors, but their donut ice cream is the one that I keep going back to (it tastes exactly like a powdered donut!). This time I asked them to make it "Homer style," with pink candy shell and rainbow nonpareils. Perfect! One of the many things I love about Lake Street Creamery is that they serve their ice cream in a waffle bowl with a wooden spoon. It's such a practical but clever twist on the familiar. If you live in the LA area and haven't tried it, you definitely should. I promise you won't be disappointed!

Here's a photo from the Outdoor Cinema Food Fest at Exposition Park, stolen from my friend because she has a fancy iPhone that takes fancy photos and I don't:


No comments: